, , ,

The kaya bread effect

Friday, July 03, 2015

We were really lucky this morning, we found a parking spot directly opposite the entrance as soon as we got here. While others had to park and walk a good 5 minutes or more under the hot 32C blazing morning sun. I hasten my steps and led my small group of hungry eaters to our breakfast spot.


The entrance is lined with makeshift stalls. Each selling assorted items from food to daily ware. A stall caught the corner of my eye. A man pull out a soy sauce chicken from one of the pots he is selling. Then Ron whispered in my ear, "Pots and pans, all your favourite." I have no idea why I'm so drawn to the dish since I'm usually not a fan of meat dishes, so it has to be the kitchen ware. All carefully placed to draw attention from the passerby, hoping one of these can whop in a few sales for the day.
I trod lightly to Ah Weng Koh Hainan Tea (阿荣哥海南茶档), the reason I woke up at 7:30am on a weekend, trying to keep from getting soaked with unknown water source leaked on the floor of the wet market.

A lady thrust three stainless steel mugs on our table. It is our half boiled eggs using traditional cock motif bowl as makeshift cover.
This simple breakfast consisting of toasted bread and kaya evokes a surge of vivid memories from my childhood each time. This is not just a meal for the body but also food for the soul.
A cup of steaming, rich and comforting Hainanese coffee (海南咖啡) to awake the senses.
This place may appear to be seemingly untouched by time but time waits for no man. The surrounding buildings have been pulverized to make way for new development.

Ah Weng Koh Hainan Tea (阿蓉哥海南茶档) // Imbi Market (Pasar Baru Bukit Bintang) Jalan Melati, Kuala Lumpur

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Recommended reading

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.

Popular Posts